Hazelnut Blackberry Cake with Mascarpone Cream
– 3/4 cup roasted hazelnuts
– 2 and 1/4 cups white spelt flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 15 tablespoons soft butter
– 4 large eggs
– 1/3 cup superfine sugar
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Zest of 1 lemon
– 1 cup mascarpone cheese, soft
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Also have a bunch of fresh blackberries ready to go (about 1 pound).
– I suggest you leave a brick of butter out overnight so you can easily spoon the butter the next day.
– Leave your eggs out for a few hours so they are at room temp
– To soften the mascarpone, simply leave it out of the fridge at room temp for about 10 min.
– This recipe calls for 2 loose bottom pans, I used one small one for the photo above BUT I had to bake longer at a reduced temp to get the centre cooked. I suggest you follow the recipe below for fool-proof results (unless ur a master baker!…teehee).
– If you can find roasted hazelnuts in the store (I did!) just buy those, if you can’t, then roast them at home in a pan in the oven at 300F for about 5-7 min, careful not to burn them!
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease 2 loose-bottom 8 inch cake pan
2. Using a kitchen towel or napkin, shake the hazelnuts to remove skins (like this), then using a blender or food processor, pulverize those nuts ’til they become a fine meal (don’t make them butter tho!).
3. For the cake – In a large bowl, place the butter, sugar, and eggs and lightly beat til they incorporate (it’s ok if they look a bit “split). Sift the flour and baking powder and add it along with the rest of the ingredients (the vanilla, ground hazelnuts, lemon zest, and maple syrup). Gently incorporate all ingredients making sure you don’t over mix (say no to tough cakes!).
4. Divide the mix between the pans and place them in the oven for about 25-35 min. Check the centre with a toothpick and when no dough comes out and the sides look golden brown then take them out.
5.Let cakes cool completely at room temp.
Now make the mascarpone cream:
– In a bowl mix all the cream ingredients and whisk until nice and thick (stiff peaks).
– Mush a few blackberries and add this blackberry “paste” on top of the cream – don’t mix it tho!
Assemble the cake:
– If your cakes have a weird top, just level it with a knife.
– Place one cake on a plate, then top with dollops of the cream (you’ll see the blackberry paste will create a marble effect when you scoop it out, cool eh?).
– Arrange fresh blackberries all over the cream
– Add one more thin layer of cream on top of berries and place the 2nd cake on top.
– Place the rest of the cream on top, load it with berries and – if you have some – decorate with fresh chamomile.
Hope you enjoy this delicious summery treat.